- Sudden, unusual spike in utility use--drug operations need a lot of water and electricity. Out of the blue, you may be receiving tenant complaints about water pressure when that hasn't been an issue before.
- Odd mechanical noises that may relate to a large number of fans in operation. Have you been receiving complaints regarding unusual noises?
- Windows that are blacked out or otherwise blocked during the day to keep people from seeing the activity inside.
- Tampering around the meters--some tenants are smart enough to know their use of water and electricity can raise suspician and try to tamper with the meters to mask their usage.
- Avoiding interaction with the landlord and/or property management.
- The person(s) primarily occupying the unit or house is not the person who completed the rental application.
The bottomline, as a landlord you should know your property and your tenants so you can become sensitized to anomalies that might indicate a problem is brewing.