- Require implementation of additional secondary containment requirements for new/replaced tanks and piping;
- Provide for additional operating training requirements for UST system owners and operators (this will be phased in over a period of 3 years);
- Add periodic operation and maintenance requirements for UST systems;
- Add new release prevention and detection methods and technologies; and
- Eliminate certain deferrals from regulations.
The stated purpose of these proposed regulations is to emphasize the proper operation and maintenance of UST equipment and to improve the prevention and detection of UST releases, a leading source of groundwater contamination.